Sunday, October 23, 2011

Daddy's Little Girl

   How I longed to be daddy's little girl.  I didn't know how much I was missing because he was never very present.  Now don't get me wrong, he made it to most birthdays, each Christmas, parent's night at school, graduation, and he walked me down the isle at my wedding.  But those moments just aren't the contributions that amount to much if they stand alone.  It's the day to day grind of life, living life together that would have made a difference.  These wonderings began after seeing Courageous in the movie theater last night.  I must confess I cried to 2 hours straight during this movie.  The message anda delivery were amazing.


   The following is the resolution from the movie Courageous.  Each father signed the resolution.  What I can proudly state is that where my earthly father missed the mark, my Heavenly Father did not.
I do solemnly resolve before God to take full responsibility for myself, my wife, and my children.
I WILL love them, protect them, serve them, and teach them the Word of God as the spiritual leader of my home.
I WILL be faithful to my wife, to love and honor her, and be willing to lay down my life for her as Jesus Christ did for me.
I WILL bless my children and teach them to love God with all of their hearts, all of their minds, and all of their strength.
I WILL train them to honor authority and live responsibly.
I WILL confront evil, pursue justice, and love mercy.
I WILL pray for others and treat them with kindness, respect, and compassion.
I WILL work diligently to provide for the needs of my family.
I WILL forgive those who have wronged me and reconcile with those I have wronged.
I WILL learn from my mistakes, repent of my sins, and walk with integrity as a man answerable to God.
I WILL seek to honor God, be faithful to His church, obey His Word, and do His will.
I WILL courageously work with the strength God provides to fulfill this resolution for the rest of my life and for His glory.
As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord. – Joshua 24:15

I know I am not the only woman who came from a broken home and longed to be Daddy's Little Girl and I hope that if you identify with me, then you also know that your Heavenly Father can fill any emptiness that our Earthly fathers have left behind.
 

1 comment:

  1. Nickie, What a beautiful reminder. We sometimes spend so much energy thinking about what we don't have, that we forget to take into consideration what we do have. Reading your post was the perfect start to my morning. I will have to get out to see the movie too.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete